Saturday, November 7, 2009

Boys Like Girls: LOVE DRUNK




When I heard that they will be releasing a new album, I was totally stoked! I made a lot of search online: the tracks that'll be included, the album cover and the people they've worked with for this second phase of their musical career.

At last, Love Drunk was released September 7, 2009 and I was lucky enough that the website I usually download songs from had a complete copy of the tracks. Yeah, call me a thief i don't mind. Martin Johnson doesn't mind either. According to him, "if you downloaded it illegally or burnt it from a friend, that’s ok too. i would much rather you have this record for free than not at all, and i’ve learned to accept the way most modern music is acquired." and I so admire him for his better understanding about this. I do check on his blog everyday. The album is one track shorter than their first album but 1 min and 22 secs longer in duration. the album cover is quite glossy though.

The songs that caught my attention are: go, someone like you and two is better than one (a duet with Taylor Swift). These songs did not actually justify their punk-rock style but these sure are nice ballads. Johnson really knows how to throw his voice. He sounds great when he sings ballad specially the way he shifts his tenor to falsetto.

The rest of the tracks are made up of danceable beats, hummable melodies and chorus chants. They're more like Bon Jovi-ish this time. The thing that makes this album better than the first one is that the lyrics are more mature and that they have moved on from their teenage-related experiences. For this one, most of the listeners can relate to the songs no matter how old or young you are. But what the heck? Why should I compare the two when both came from the same boys I admire and look up to.

No comments: