Thursday, September 16, 2010

Maya-Maya Ibonie

Earlier was another normal shift. Busy chit-chat is what you’ll hear on the floor from agents delivering their spiels. For me it was a very lazy day for I was sleepy that I had to take a nap every ten minutes or so. I kept on waiting for the slow running clock to tell me it’s time for lunch so that i could move my ass out of my desk.

And so it’s been a tradition for me to accompany my friend downstairs to wait for her dad. She’s starting to drive so I have to watch her everyday. I don’t know why I have to but my day wouldn’t be complete without doing it.

We were talking at the taxi stand when my friend suddenly saw a bird fell from the sky. We’ve no idea how it happened. I rushed myself to the struggling bird. I picked it up and I felt her pain. It seemed like she’s (I don’t want to use “it” because the bird is very pretty that’s why I’ll use the pronoun “she” for it signifies beauty) got a broken feet. I tried to calm her down and I started to caress her feathers. I didn’t want to let go of her until I know that she’s fine. So our next problem was to find a way to keep the bird. I can’t bring her inside for the guards will surely haunt me. I can’t just leave her under the bushes because it’s not safe. My friend can’t carry her home as well because she has six cats. “Tweety’s not safe with just one cat and I have six!” is what she said so I did not insist and, she needed to drive the car.

I was hungry because I did not take my lunch yet but I didn’t want to leave her. I was lucky that another friend of mine whose house was just five minutes ride away from my place without any hesitation took charge of the bird. So I went back to the office to eat my lunch and sleep work again.

All that I waited for was for the clock to strike ten. I have made a lot of plans for her. In fact, I already thought of a place where she could stay. I named her Maya-maya Ibonie. I planned of not putting her on a cage because I don’t have the intention of keeping her forever. When she gets well, I’m ready to let her go and she’s free-like love. If we can’t hold a person any longer and that person wants to leave, then we don’t have the right to stop him/her. It may sound very easy but you’ll die doing it.

At ten o’clock, I stormed out of the office and did not join the audition for the company dance troupe. I was near like running already. I was about to text my friend that I’m on my way to get the bird when I received a message. It said, “lumipad na si birdie dun sa my mini-stop”. I paused for awhile trying to absorb what I’ve just read. I guess that was fine. It’s better that way. It’s better that I’m not yet attached to her. Still, it would’ve been better if I took care of her and watched her fly away.

Letting go is never easy. What happened today proved that it’s inescapable not to lose what we have. The bird could’ve been my pet but for few minutes I lost her.

We have a lot of “could’ve beens” in our lives that we wish would’ve flown away before they’ve taken a part of us. It’s not easy to see someone fly away. I’m just thankful that for once, I did not witness being left behind.

No comments: