Monday, November 8, 2010

My Journey With Music (Part I)

Growing up in a family who loves to sing would surely make you addicted to music as well. This might not be the case to all but that’s what happened to me. Singing has always been our favorite past time when I was still little and even until now. We just love to sing. It’s funny that in our town, we’re regarded as a family of singers-not my last name but my middle. We would always be invited to join contests and perform on special occasions like birthdays, rallies, school programs, etc.

I sing for myself and not for anyone else. I hate joining contests not because I’m afraid of losing but I’m totally a shy person. I sing at family gatherings but not when an “outsider” is present. There was a point that my parents got mad at me because I did not sing in front of our visitors. I was able to overcome this somehow. When I was studying, I sang my heart out just to be voted by students (at least it worked for I’ve always been part of the student body) or to save our team during literary contests in high school.

When I was young I think I have a good singing voice because I could hit high notes until puberty killed it.

So what’s the reason behind this post? I will be listing all the songs that are memorable- songs that I grew up with.

Lost in Your Eyes by Debbie Gibson - the first song I learned when I was about 3 years old. That’s according to my mother.

I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus- the first song I sang at a Church’s Christmas celebration. They promised to give me a hundred bucks after the performance.

25 Minutes by MLTR- if I could erase this in my childhood memory, I would. It was my father’s idea for me to sing this at our school’s closing exercises during elementary and my first performance at school. I don’t like this song but I earned a lot of friends and I became popular after this.

Now and Forever by Richard Marx- when I joined the student body, I was asked by my party to sing so that our team will be recognized by the students and it actually helped us win. The falsetto part of this song was very challenging for I still don’t know how to do it when I was in grade five.

Payapang Daigdig- this is the song for that diaper commercial and whenever I hear it, it reminds me of the first singing competition I joined in for our school. It was a regional competition and I competed with almost 25 pupils from different schools. We sang the same piece and I came on third place.

Quién Será- the Spanish version of Sway. My teacher asked me to perform this during the awarding ceremony. He even asked me to do the cha-cha while singing which I did not do anyway ‘cause I thought it was embarrassing.

No comments: