Sunday, November 21, 2010

My Journey With Music (Part II)

High school came and I started to be more conscious with the songs I listen to. I learned how to pick favorite songs and artists from different genre. I think this is true to all teenagers in high school during my time. Back from the days when there’s no access to the internet yet, we would have songhits collection and notebooks where we would write our favorite songs.

I was more into classic music in grade school and since my father is a Pinoy rock band lover, I woke up to songs from Eraserheads, Yano, Grin Department, Rivermaya and Parokya ni Edgar. He would also play songs from Metallica, REO Speedwagon, Bon Jovi and Guns ‘N Roses to name some.

During my first year in high school, I got so totally hooked on The Moffatts because of my friend. I wasn’t really a die-hard fan but I have learned all of their songs from their first album (It’s A Wonderful World, 1994) when they were still kids up to their first album. Their Chapter 1: A New Beginning UK Edition was the first cassette tape that I bought.

Honestly, I’m kind of hesitant to share my small collection of cassette tapes but what would be the essence of this entry if i will not open up right? Aside from The Moffatts, I also have Westlife’s Asian Edition, M2M, The Corrs Asian Edition, A1 Deluxe Edition, Baby One More Time, Christina Aguilera and Stripped.

This was the time of my life when I was so active musically. I joined singing contests in our school and performed during school programs whenever they would request me to. I was part of the school’s Star Circle Club, Glee Club and the church choir. I got to sing solo most of the time. (Not to mention that I also gained more points for extra curricular activities.)

These were the songs I sang during literary contests:
First Year - “How Could An Angel Break my Heart” by Toni Braxton
Second Year - “I Wont Last A Day Without You” by Karen Carpenters
Third Year - “You Are My Song” by Martin Nievera
Fourth Year - “Kailangan Ko’y Ikaw” by Ogie Alcasid

It’s very difficult to find a competition piece in the province because we can only make use of what we have.

It was in high school that Christina Aguilera became my favorite artist after hearing “I Turn To You”. I also liked Britney Spears but not as much as Christina.

I can honestly say that the best songs can be found during this time. Compared to what we hear nowadays, songs when I was in high school have deep meaning. They talk more about feelings. Sometimes, you have to read between the lines just to understand them. Whenever I think of songs in the past, time brings me to this era when music sounds good.

No comments: