Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Fort Santiago: Boredom Killer

(Taken at the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe)

I killed boredom yesterday. The second day of my b.u.m. life was put to use finally. I was a kid since the last time I visited Fort Santiago with my parents. For the longest time, I’ve been planning to go there alone or with company. I took the opportunity to live that plan. I wasn’t alone though. I was with my two friends who are living under the shadows of a jobless-for-now status (We’re not totally jobless. We’re just waiting for our training date.)

It was our lucky day, maybe, because we didn’t pay for the entrance fee. It was a free admission day but who would enjoy taking photos on a sunny side up day? The sun almost burned our skin. But when we got to the site, we just loved appreciating its beauty. The fort that was built on the 16th century has structures that are old and mossy. You would definitely see the span of its existence and would not believe that it’s still there standing elegantly.

We lost track of how many hours we toured the place. The trip refreshed my memory of the subjects I took up during school days. Aside from posing at the different attractions of the walled city (because I’m into looking for photos that I could use as a banner for my blogsites), I also enjoyed looking at Jose Rizal’s works – his books, sculptures, etc. I was frightened by a statue soldier that was hiding at the back of the Rajah Solayman theatre, the mirror reflection of Jose Rizal’s statue and the sleeping manong at the Rizal’s Shrine ( I thought he’s non-living!).

We were wrong in scheduling our first historical adventure because the place would’ve looked lovely at four or five in the afternoon, the same time my parents and I visited the place. Nevertheless, sunny or gloomy, the place would remain regal as it’s always been.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S. Please bring your own food. The cafe sells costly food and you wouldn't want to end up complaining about the prices.

No comments: