Friday, August 27, 2010

SELF-PIRACY

Lately, the “copycat” term has been a big joke for me and my friend at the office. We would often call each other a “copycat” whenever there’s something that we copied from each other or from other people. It’s fun because we’re not serious anyway and we just do it to have a share of laughter.

But what is a “copycat”? Whenever we hear this, we would always think of that popular Cherie Gil line "You're nothing but a second-rate, trying hard copycat!" According to an online dictionary, a copycat is an obnoxious individual who, sickly, gets off on copying, imitating, emulating, simulating or miming the words, gestures and expressions of another individual. Is it a bad thing? Personally, I think it is. How can we be ourselves if we always tend to copy someone else? How can you be an individual if you portray somebody’s persona?

There are plenty of people out there who enjoy living their lives as a carbon copy of another person. It might be on the way they dress, the music they like, things they say, favorite hobby, physical activity, etc. Why is this happening? Because of what we call trend. What’s “in” is cool all the time. We always want to blend in. He/she colored his/hair, I will color mine as well - type of attitude is really disturbing! What would you feel if you had your hair rebonded and the next day everybody in your office had their hair done as well?

I had my share of this when I was still at school. I had this new friend who copied my penmanship. So our classmates started commenting that we have the same. The last time I saw him write, it was totally different but when the school year started, it somewhat became closer to mine until it looked more like mine! It got me disturbed and annoyed. It was like part of me was stolen. Because of this I always avoid copying other people. Sometimes I do it just for fun but I make sure that I’m not going to be living that little piece of another person. That’s why I’m not going to be a basketball fanatic just because my friends are or enjoy the latest chart topping song because it’s a hit and everybody listens to it.

We all are copycats. Don’t you dare say you’re not because I know there’s a tiny part in you that is not original. There’s a secret though, if you’re going to copy something or someone, try not to be that obvious. Get the idea and create your own out of it. In other words, don’t copy everything!

Being “gaya-gaya” is a funny joke but it’s alarming when it’s getting serious. When you become untrue to yourself, it’s not you anymore.

There’s this quote in the cover of my notebook when I was in high school that has become my favorite. It goes by saying, “Never follow fads. Often, the best time to create is when nobody has it.”

Live your life. Be your own identity. Be unique. Stand out from the crowd. Embrace the you in you.

No comments: